Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 07:03:04PM +0100, Michael Meskes wrote:
Because eventually a future version will come out that doesn't work
with
the stable base, at which point we suddenly stop supporting the
package.
That's much worse than just admitting up front that we can't support
the
package for the next 4 years.

Let's agree to disagree. I find it perfectly fine if we told people up
front that we support it as long as upstream has a version that works
with the stable base. They are still better or at least not worse of
with that than with a self-installed one.

Why? With the self-installed one they know up front that they need to set up some kind of infrastructure to maintain it and can make an informed decision about whether they want to take that on. How is it better to think you have a debian supported install but in fact have to come up with the very infrastructure you avoided on an emergency basis at some point in the future?

Mike Stone