Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

> Michael Meskes dijo [Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 01:57:53PM +0100]:
> > I disagree, it is not maintainable source code, yes, but source
> > code
> > nonetheless. According to wikipedia source code is:
>
> Some others have answered to this claim. As I understand it, source
> code should ideally be the author's preferred form of
> modification. That is clearly different from what a minified
> representation is.

It's amazing how my email seems to have been understood differs from
what I wanted to say. I thought it was clear from the "not
maintainable" part that I did not suggest we use minified source as
source code. I was merely pointing out that it technically still was
source code in the sense that the same compiler/interpreter yields the
same result with the minified code as with the original one.

For all practical manners this is irrelevant.

> > I get your point, I just don't accept the consequence that we
> > should
> > not package these applications.
>
> Well, try to find somebody with time and motivation to _properly_ do
> the packaging, and to keep it up for several years...

I absolutely agree with you that it does not work with our current way
of packaging, but that's what this discussion about. IMO it would be
great if we found a way to offer these applications to our users.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Meskes at (Debian|Postgresql) dot Org