Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

]] Russ Allbery

> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I think the discussion we are having here is orthogonal to
> > containers/flatpaks.
>
> > If Debian were to have a repository of containers/flatpaks, then it
> > should meet Debian standards. We cannot just say "here are some
> > containers, completely unsupported and might not up to our standards".
> > To achieve that, I think it would be best to automatically convert it
> > from Debian binary packages. Also, since we are already doing packaging
> > work, it makes sense to base any container efforts on that, just like
> > our cloud efforts have been.
>
> I agree with this.
>
> Putting aside completely missing licenses or completely missing source
> code (these are sometimes more fixable problems, since those are
> considered suspect practices even in the upstream communities), the root
> problem here is vendored dependencies.  Most modern languages, not just
> Java and Node, are switching to vendored dependencies with some mechanism
> for freezing the dependencies for a project.  See Rust, Go, and
> increasingly, Python and Ruby, and I would expect to see the same for any
> new, popular programming language.

I think there's at least two types of vendoring you're referring to
here, and they're substantially different.

One is how Go currently does (but my understanding is that this is
changing in newer versions).  Here, the source code of dependencies are
shipped together with the source code for the application.  This leads
to trees like
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/master/vendor where any
one of those dependencies might be a released version or tag, or it
might just be a random git snapshot, and there's not really any way to
know.

The other (you refer to this as freezing dependencies) is how
Node.js/npm/yarn, Ruby/gem, (to some extent) Python/pip, and Rust/cargo
does it.  In those cases, you have some file specifying the versions of
libraries the application needs, usually as «this version of this
gem/crate/package» and there is somewhere those packages live by
default.  Quite often, there's also a lock file of some sort which lists
out the exact versions used, recursively, which ensures you can deploy
the exact same code multiple times.

The second method means you can reason about what versions of code are
included where.  You might still have to patch five versions of
libvulnerable, but at least it's possible to find which five versions
are in use, and get those fixed in a central place and then rebuild
everything that's vulnerable, recursively.  Not the most fun job in the
world, but it's at least possible to automate somewhat.

I'm curious what, if anything, we can do to better support the second
model. In particular because (as you note) it's very much in vogue with
lots of upstreams those days.

--
Tollef Fog Heen