Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 6:07 AM, Sean Whitton wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16 2018, Michael Meskes wrote:
>> If we were to package applications as containers (not necessarily
>> docker-style!) we could and should have different rules for
>> those....
>
> Yes, I think that Debian should eventually be providing a repository of
> flatpaks (or similar) alongside our apt repos.

I think the discussion we are having here is orthogonal to containers/flatpaks.

If Debian were to have a repository of containers/flatpaks, then it
should meet Debian standards. We cannot just say "here are some
containers, completely unsupported and might not up to our standards".
To achieve that, I think it would be best to automatically convert it
from Debian binary packages. Also, since we are already doing
packaging work, it makes sense to base any container efforts on that,
just like our cloud efforts have been.

There is flathub, dockerhub etc for containers/flatpaks that may or
may not meet Debian standards.

> One of smcv's talk at DebConf17 explains the advantages of doing this:
> https://debconf17.debconf.org/talks/59/

IIRC, many applications have to be rebuilt for this particular
incarnation of converting Debian to flatpaks (except programs that are
already relocatable). Personally I am not sure we need additional
burden on the buildds.

--
bye,
pabs