Re: What can Debian do to provide complex applications to its users?

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:51:20AM -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> We do not, and probably never
> will have, the required manpower.

Since 2012 I'm maintaining a survey in wiki[1] where developers are
giving reasons why they entered Debian.  I presented the result in
several talks the first time at FOSDEM 2013[2].  It boils down to the
very simple statement:  A project like Debian Med which is de factor
very special and thus not very important to Debian was able to attract
more then one percent of the existing active Debian developers (we are
currently close to 2% five years later).

So if you are claiming we have no manpower that's pretty much our own
fault since we do not actively care.  There are ways to attract gifted
and interested people if we would only try.

In the actual topic: If we simple hunting for adding random JS libraries
to the Debian package pool we will definitely fail technically and in
terms of attracting people who are working on the issue.  If we in
contrast try to form a solid group which is reaching out to upstream and
try to get them actively involved we will be certainly able to solve the
issues we are facing today.

BTW, in the JS case I would rather take teams like Debian Perl team as
an example but they probably have not made a poll like the Debian Med
team.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Developers