Re: Repackaging upstream source with file modifications?

Hi Colin,

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Colin Watson wrote:
> I considered just applying this as a patch in debian/patches/, but of
> course that's still distributing the encumbered file in the
> .orig.tar.xz, and Lintian just issues license-problem-non-free-RFC about
> the patch file instead.  (Again, I could override this, but it seemed
> questionable to do so.)  So my proposal is to commit this patch to my
> "upstream" git branch, prepare grub2_2.02+dfsg1.orig.tar.xz from that
> branch, and document this in debian/copyright and debian/README.source.
> However, I know it's a bit unconventional to change files in a +dfsg
> tarball rather than merely deleting them, and I can't meet the
> recommendation of the developer's reference above.

FWIW, I did something similar in tcpdf where I had to replace a non-free
ICC color profile with a free implementation. In fact I automated the
replacement in debian/gen-orig-source.sh.

The situation is a bit different because the ICC color profile is not
source code but the underlying logic is the same.

> Does this seem like a reasonable way forward?
> apply the backport as an ordinary patch and override
> license-problem-non-free-RFC for the patch file?

So yes, I believe it's OK to proceed that way.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer