Re: Compiler with Spectre mitigation retpoline/-mindirect-branch=thunk

On 2018-01-31 14:41, Guillem Jover wrote:
Hi!

On Wed, 2018-01-31 at 07:35:32 +0100, Philipp Hahn wrote:
Using parallel build (-jX) fails for us, so it takes ~13h to compile
that gcc. I was told to use '-J' instead, but that is not supported by
dpkg-buildpackage in Debian-Stretch :-(

dpkg-buildpackage does support -J in stretch (starting with dpkg 1.18.2).

But if -jN breaks, that's because the package is not parallel build
safe, so using -J will not improve things, as the package has not
opted in (or has opted out depending on the debhelper used) from
parallel builds anyway.

So what's the difference between setting DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=parallel=n and -Jn then? The former has some precedent in being set on build daemons, so I'd assume that -Jn doesn't regress behavior here? Or is the suggested interface the environment variable?

Kind regards and thanks
Philipp Kern