Re: Maintaining a custom out-of-tree patched Debian kernel for specific hardware

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 07:38:41PM +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> Dear Debian Developers,
>
> I am part of a team working on getting Debian on low cost laptops (see
> http://www.rdp.in for details) so that they can be sold with Debian
> preinstalled. While vanilla Debian largely works, unfortunately,
> making Bluetooth and sound work require kernel rebuilding. The patches
> and config changes are not likely to be upstreamed any time soon, so
> we would have to ship the laptop with a patched (non-Debian
> kernel). Our team is, thus, taking up the responsibility of ensuring
> that up-to-date kernel (with security fixes) are made available to the
> users of our laptop. The patches and configs are adapted from here:
> https://github.com/sundarnagarajan/kernel_build

Are the the patches you need are really just those in patches/? If yes,
they are small enough that if I were in your place I would talk to the
Debian kernel team to see if they can be included in the official Debian
kernel.

Also, the patches being that small, what's stopping them from
being upstreamed?