Re: Maintaining a custom out-of-tree patched Debian kernel for specific hardware

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:02:55AM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-01-22 at 19:38 +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> > 1. The laptop will ship with stretch preinstalled, but with a custom
> > kernel built using the linux-source-x.xx.xx package with a custom
> > version number, such as linux-image-4.14.13-iitb-amd64.
>
> A silly nitpick but the "4.14.13-iitb-amd64" in package a named "linux-
> image-4.14.13-iitb-amd64" is actually the kernel ABI (4.14.13-iitb) and
> arch (amd64) which is not exactly/necessarily the same as the version.
> There is also a third field "flavour" which you don't have here but
> which would go between the two e.g. "linux-image-4.14.0-3-rt-amd64" is
> a rt patched kernel.
>
> You should definitately give the package a distinct version and you
> should _probably_ give it either a distinct ABI or flavour (or possibly
> both). You will probably also want to put a digit in your distinct ABI
> so you can rev it if needed.

Thanks for pointing this out. Do you mean something like
linux-image-4.14.13-2-iitb-amd64?

> > 4. Users will be made aware of the fact that this is Debian with a
> > custom kernel without ambiguity.
>
> I _think_ you can add hooks/files to the package so that reportbug DTRT
> here, but I don't know the specifics of how.

I will figure this out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kumar
--
...[Linux's] capacity to talk via any medium except smoke signals.
		-- Dr. Greg Wettstein, Roger Maris Cancer Center