Re: Salsa Beta - Updates

Quoting Andrew Shadura (2018-01-06 20:25:35)
> On 6 January 2018 at 17:18, Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org> wrote:

> >> I have started working on adding webhook support to KGB, which is the
> >> tool that many projects are already using for years.
> >>
> >> Ideally, this would be a service plugin in gitlab, so projects could use
> >> templates for configuration, and to be able to configure what is now
> >> done in the kgb.conf file. But to get this out quicker, I will just add
> >> simple webhook parsing.
> >>
> >> On a side note, I only learnt about the idea to replace KGB with irker
> >> last week, during the CCC congress. I think that contacting the KGB
> >> maintainers beforehand would have been a better way of dealing with this.
> > I think what you learned is wrong. We use irker because it is the only thing
> > we have. And how could we replace something that we aren't running? KGB is
> > not and will probably not run by salsa.
>
> Or maybe we can use Matrix's IRC gateway; with Matrix, you don't need
> to run a daemon, you just execute a webhook or use a simple Python
> wrapper for it; see e.g.
> https://kallithea-scm.org/repos/integration/matrix/files/tip/__init__.py

Please let's self-host, not rely on resources outside our control.
Matrix service is in Debian package matrix-synapse (if you really want:
Running a full Matrix node need more ressources¹ than running a bot).

 - Jonas

¹ Externalizing still consumes ressources, just hidden.