Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

Vincent Bernat wrote:
> As I have said previously, the problem also appears with warnings. I
> would never dare running Lintian in pedantic mode.
>
> Lintian is full of opinions. For example, I often get:
>
> W: python-pysnmp4-doc: extra-license-file
> usr/share/doc/python-pysnmp4-doc/html/_sources/license.txt

That is not an opinion, it is a statement of fact that there is an
additional licence file in the package, that all license information should
be collected in the debian/copyright file and that this usually makes it
unnecessary for the package to install this information in other places as
well.

However, it's also not a useful fact to be telling you because sphinx-
generated documentation will always have this file and while lintian is
correct about this being a potential problem, it isn't actually a problem
right now.

Perhaps extra-license-file should be of lower severity (#740118), although
if this extra licence file is one that you have genuinely missed, then it
would be an RC bug or a NEW queue REJECT. (There is perhaps some irony in
complaining about tools that are helping ensure that you've not forgotten a
licence file in the context of complaining about getting REJECTs for not
having a complete d/copyright file.)

Lintian should probably learn to skip sphinx sources for this tag to improve
the signal:noise on it (#885968).

> Each time, more warnings appear. Just today, I get:
>
> W: python3-pysnmp4:
> python-package-depends-on-package-from-other-python-variant (Suggests:
> python-pysnmp4-doc)
>
> My solution? Removing the Sugggests and pray someone doesn't open a bug
> to request suggesting the documentation.

As noted already, that's entirely the wrong solution.

It's too easy to copy+paste in debian/control and get dependencies wrong
such that python3-foo accidentally depends on the module package python-bar
not python3-bar. python3-foo depending on python-bar is an RC bug and
*should* be flagged by lintian as such. Lintian spotting RC bugs prior to
upload is a good thing.

The -doc package is pretty much the only place where this cross-variant
relationship is correct but that wasn't realised when that new check was
written. Remember that lintian is written by humans and humans write code
with bugs... they can also fix bugs when they are reported and then the tool
gets better. (#885693; already fixed in git)

> W: python-pysmi: new-package-should-not-package-python2-module
>
> This is the translation of a group of people's opinion.

First, check:

    https://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2017/12/msg00017.html

When it is the opinion of the maintainers of the Python 2 interpreter, then
that's an opinion that counts. I always find that it's worth paying
attention to the future intentions of the maintainers of my rdeps since what
they intend to do can have an impact on my work. When the Qt4 maintainers
say that Qt4 will go away, I need to do something about that; when the
Python 2 maintainer says that Python 2 will go away, I need to do something
about that too. I also try to avoid shooting the messenger.

In adding a python 2 module package today, you're making work for your
future self and for other people (python maintainers, QA team and ftp-
masters at least) so it's entirely appropriate to point out that it might
not be a useful thing to do. At this stage of python 2->3,  new python-foo
is most likely only ever going to be a leaf package with no application
depending on it. The question needs to be asked: is that python 2 module
actually useful for Debian to have? For the time being there's still
unported code that needs Python 2 packages so one might choose to ignore
new-package-should-not-package-python2-module in some carefully thought
through circumstances. Lintian saying "Have you thought about this
carefully" sounds pretty good. I recently had the same discussion with
comaintainers of some other package and we concluded that we did need the
python 2 package right now because there were going to be rdeps.

python-foo-but-no-python3-foo is a much more important problem that really
does need addressing *right* *now*. If it's easy to do then just do it; if
it's hard to do, then now is past the time to start talking to upstream
about it to make it happen.

https://lintian.debian.org/tags/dependency-on-python-version-marked-for-end-of-life.html

https://lintian.debian.org/tags/python-foo-but-no-python3-foo.html

--