Re: Re: Is missing SysV-init support a bug?

Russ Allbery wrote:
> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
> > On Dec 31, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >> These are running stretch, and I would like to upgrade them without
> >> breaking my existing scripts, which assume sysvinit with runlevels
> >> (including one-shot runlevels).
>
> > Somebody having legacy scripts which assume sysvinit and that they do
> > not want to change does not make "sysvinit preferred over systemd" as it
> > is being argued.
>
> It does, however, mean that it's a good idea for us to continue to support
> sysvinit.

Not quite. It means we should maintain support for sysvinit *scripts*
for the foreseeable future; there's no good reason for us to break
support for /etc/init.d/* any time soon. (It might become necessary to
provide a migration mechanism that helps sysadmins move their legacy
rcS.d scripts, but that shouldn't be particularly hard when nothing in
Debian ships such scripts anymore.)