Re: Why do we list individual copyright holders?

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

> As much as people find writing debian/copyright, imagine the pain
> associated with checking it.  Personally, I don't want it to be any
> harder than it has to be.  I'm currently canvasing other members of the
> FTP Team to understand what everyone thinks is correct.  This isn't the
> ideal time of year to do it, so I make no promises on schedule, but I do
> hope to be able to have a coordinated response to the points brought up
> in this thread.

Thank you for doing that, Scott!

For those who feel strongly about this and have some time or resources to
put into resolving it, I again strongly encourage people to form a working
group on this that can focus on coming up with a concrete proposal.  I
think our scattershot discussion approach in debian-devel is good for a
lot of things, but not for something that's large and complex like how we
handle license and copyright notices.  There are going to be a lot of
details, and the sprawling thread is going to be frustrating.

A working group can divvy up the work and collaborate on a concrete
proposal, which makes the resulting discussion a lot easier.

I don't have a ton of time at the moment, so I'm reluctant to volunteer,
but I may be able to spring some hours if someone else would be willing to
take on the coordination work.  (Scott's already volunteering to canvas
ftpmaster, so it would be great if someone else could take on the rest of
the logistics.)  I think a separate (public) mailing list dedicated to
this would be ideal, but feel free to use a bug against debian-policy
instead if the lower-overhead setup is appealing.