Re: Which files should go in ‘/usr/share/common-licenses/’?

[CCing -devel, but please move discussion to -policy]

Hello Markus,

On Sat, Dec 09 2017, Markus Koschany wrote:

> Users who are facing this kind of limitations will most likely remove
> /usr/share/common-licenses, /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man and
> maybe more already. I don't think that it makes any difference to them
> if we install 5 or 50 text files into /usr/share/common-licenses and
> the benefit for package maintainers is far greater.

This seems sensible in 2017, and we have indeed had this perspective
confirmed by someone who works with low disc space systems.  It would be
good to have a few more confirmations, though.

> Someone set up a wiki page: https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses We
> could just build upon this content and complete the work by linking to
> accepted packages in main that are using those DFSG licenses.
>
> Shall I file another bug report against the Debian Policy or can we
> reuse one of the existing bug reports for this matter?

Please use a separate bug for each license or set of licenses to be
added.  This is because there are sometimes license-specific
complexities (see #795402 for example).

Please try to re-use existing bugs, such as #795402.  Otherwise we just
have to spend time merging them.

--
Sean Whitton