Re: custom packages and schroot workflow

Hi Emilio,

On Fri, 8 Dec 2017 14:01:54 +0100, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org> wrote:
> On 08/12/17 11:02, Frédéric Bonnard wrote:
> > Hi,
> > being new to the Debian schroot setup on Debian machines, I tried
> > debugging some package. I found the crash happening in a library pulled
> > as a runtime dependency.
> > My idea was to recompile that library with some debug enabled and install
> > those custom .deb's within the current schroot, to rerun the initial
> > binary (with debug as well).
> > Using dd-schroot-cmd -c $sessionid, I realized that this is limited to
> > apt-get and not dpkg, and thus can't install .deb's not in the
> > source.list ( https://dsa.debian.org/doc/schroot/ )
> > Jumping as root in the schroot is not possible too.
> > Did I miss something ?
> > Am I following the wrong workflow with Debian machines or generally
> > speaking ? :)
> > How do you work for this kind of issue?
>
> What library is that? Does it not have a -dbg or -dbgsym package?

luajit ; it has one, and maybe it is enough. But I wondered in case I
need to add some other debug flags or want to instrument it (which I
know, I'll do some day for some other package ) or just, simply, fix it
and try it with the initial package.

> Otherwise one option is to build the library and load it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
> that way you don't have to install random packages with dpkg (which is not
> allowed in porterboxes as you found).

That's a useful hack I may use, right. Maybe limited though :-/
Thanks Emilio. At least, I know, I'm not missing some feature :)

F.