custom packages and schroot workflow

Hi,
being new to the Debian schroot setup on Debian machines, I tried
debugging some package. I found the crash happening in a library pulled
as a runtime dependency.
My idea was to recompile that library with some debug enabled and install
those custom .deb's within the current schroot, to rerun the initial
binary (with debug as well).
Using dd-schroot-cmd -c $sessionid, I realized that this is limited to
apt-get and not dpkg, and thus can't install .deb's not in the
source.list ( https://dsa.debian.org/doc/schroot/ )
Jumping as root in the schroot is not possible too.
Did I miss something ?
Am I following the wrong workflow with Debian machines or generally
speaking ? :)
How do you work for this kind of issue?
Thanks,

F.