Re: ISO download difficult

Am 05.12.2017 um 10:19 schrieb Thibaut Paumard:
> Dear Sean,
>
> Le 04/12/2017 à 21:47, Sean Whitton a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 04 2017, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
>>
>>> I vote for:
>>>     1- putting the non-free firmware on all our images,
>>
>> This seems more controversial than it needs to be, and misses an
>> opportunity for us to express our values.
>>
>> Why are you against maintaining the fullly free images alongside those
>> with non-free firmware?  The issue is that the latter are hidden, not
>> that there's anything much wrong with the former.
>>

> Mostly because we should keep it (or rather make it) as simple as
> possible to install Debian.
>
> I also believe this should be less controversial. I don't see any
> problem with shipping non-free firmware on our main installation media
> as long as they are redistributable, because I don't consider them part
> of the OS. The user has this hardware, to use it she needs the OS to
> upload that third-pary blob to her device, let's allow her to do that
> easily.

That's your opinion, but nothing that's near consensus - according to
this discussion thread. For what it's worth, I don't agree on your
opinion. For me, non-free firmware still is software, and we should not
advertise it more than it's needed. There's valid usecases of debian
*without* non-free firmware, so there's no need to ship it by *default*.

I agree though, that (unfortunately) most desktop users might need
non-free firmware. So we should make installer images with non-free
firmware available and easily accessible. And the thread shows that
there's plenty room for improvement on that.

Cheers
 jonas