Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> yes, I also agree this would work and be better than the status-quo.
> however I'm inclined to believe doing this and adding a fourth repo,
> non-free-firmware (additionally to main, contrib and non-free) would be
> even better and also not need a GR.

+1.  I think firmware is something conceptually different than non-free
software in general, and it would be good to give users a simple way to
choose to enable non-free firmware without enabling other non-free
software.

For the discoverability, I would be quite comfortable with putting both
the free and the non-free download links prominantly on the page with the
non-free link going to or closely tied with a page that discusses the
issues, explains why we have this installer even though we don't really
want to, and maybe links to the FSF Respects Your Freedom pages to suggest
a hardware alternative.