Re: ISO download difficult (was: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint))

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 04:37:24PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
On Sat, 02 Dec 2017 11:39:56 +0000, Medical Wei <mwei@lxde.org> wrote:
Actually I am thinking about people with non-free firmware problems to get
additional firmware and download them to another USB disk.
In this way the user don't need to re-download an "non-official" ISO to
install Debian.

Last time I tried to download the non-free firmware and put it on
another USB disk, I ended up in changing to a shell from the installer
and unpacking the firmware blobs to the correct place manually because
I wasn't able to figure out how the layout on the firmware disk had to
be for the installer to find it.

Yes, I've never managed to get d-i to find firmware I've put on a USB
myself, and always resorted to this approach. I never got around to
reading the source to figure out where it expects to look (nor to
improve the docs etc.)

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland