Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 04:46:24PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> Yes. We're approaching a worst-of-both-worlds scenario: We're not Free
> enough to have the FSF recommend us, and we're not non-free enough for
> our OS to run on current hardware used by Linux beginners, and cause
> them to end up with OSses that are (a) not Debian, and (b) even less
> Free than Debian.

Well articulated.

But this is more of an website problem. We already have installers with
non-free firmwares, we just hide them under "unofficial[1]"

We have a conflict between "We don't hide problems" and the FSF "don't
recommend non-free software". The FSF stand is that we recommend nonfree
software already - by having links to non-free software in our web and
wiki[2]. So we might as well add proper links to the non-free software
in the installer CD page.

[1] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
[2] https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html