Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

Hello everybody,

I started on the free software world 7 years ago. My first distro was  Debian. But in that time Debian was "complicate" for me. So, I change to Ubuntu. I used to use them like a simple user.

A couple of month ago I decided to contribute to Free software, so I choose Debian.

Now, with a little more experience with Linux-Based-OS like user, I feel that Debian don't think about new user. I think that if we want to catch more user, we have to make a more easily used OS. The First change (on my point of view) is try to find the best order for the web-page. For me, was a little complicate search the  non-free ISO installer (I was problem with my WIFI device)

Regards!

El vie., 1 de dic. de 2017 a la(s) 21:34, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> escribió:
The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 2017-12-01 at 16:44, Sven Hartge wrote:
>> Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> wrote:

>>> Exactly, which IIRC is the normal behavior if the NTFS filesystem
>>> was not properly "closed", e.g. if Windows was hibernated (or it
>>> uses the Fast Boot/Startup feature, thus suspend2both).
>>
>> Which is normal since at least Windows 7, maybe even Vista, to not
>> shutdown completely, but only shutdown the applications and then
>> hibernate the remaining Windows Kernel and memory to disk, leaving
>> the filesystem unclean.

> Are you sure?

Not on the version specifics, to be honest.

> I've been managing Windows 7 at my workplace for years now, and I've
> never seen this "suspend in response to Shut Down" behavior there; the
> first place I ever saw it was on a Windows 8 machine.  I'm not sure
> I've yet seen it in our current Windows 10 pilot, either, but I also
> haven't looked especially closely there.

Maybe it happens only on Windows 7 on SSD? Or only in specific editions?

But a quick web search reveals that Windows 8 was the first Windows to
have "Fast Startup"/"Hybrid Shutdown" enabled per default and Windows 10
has this feature enabled as well.

I mostly deal, if I have to deal, with the server variant of Windows,
which does not have this feature.

But I have seen the NTFS-mount-only-as-RO problem on other peoples
systems, when dual booting into Linux.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

--