Re: Please add lzip support in the repository

Maria Bisen <mariabisen@gmail.com> writes:

> It's been drawn to my attention the topic included in this thread:

> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2017-06/msg00084.html

> I've got the feeling that the distribution the thread talks about is
> precisely yours, Debian's. As stated there, giving support to lzip in
> Debian seems feasable and easy. Could it be possible, then, to add
> lzip support? : )

> Besides, it seems that, among researchers, myself included, there are
> voices demanding a more widespread use of lzip, as is the case of the
> German doctor mentioned in that same thread.

> I really think that including lzip support in a really important and
> well-known distribution as Debian will help users everywhere.

One possibly important clarification: Debian already supports lzip, in the
sense that lzip is packaged for Debian and can be installed like any other
package.  Anyone who wants to use it on their Debian system can do so.  So
if you'd like to use it for your research, please go ahead!

There is a separate discussion about replacing the compression used
internally in Debian packages with lzip, but that discussion is only about
Debian internals and is irrelevant to (and would go unnoticed by) 99% of
the people who use Debian.  It has no impact on use of lzip on Debian
systems for whatever purpose.