Re: Switch default installation image link?

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 06:43:46PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jun 2017, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > No one installs i386 new -- machines that are non-amd64-capable are:
> > * mainstream machines from 2004 and earlier
>
> That date is incorrect.  I can't give you a precise date, but the
> Thinkpad T43 with a 32-bit Centrino Pentium-M was **launched** in
> April/2005.
>
> And I am pretty sure there were several 32-bit only processors after the
> Pentium-M, including several Atom-based systems that either didn't
> support, or had 64-bit mode disabled in BIOS because it was just too
> damn slow.
>
> So, no earlier than 2008.

The last Atom-based netbooks with a BIOS supporting only 32-bit were
actually sold ~ 2012/2013.

And with a peak of 12 million units sold in a quarter Atom netbooks
were at some point mainstream.

No disagreement from me that anything other than amd64 in unusual and
should be non-default, just pointing out that new i386-only hardware was
still being sold and popular nearly a decade after 2004.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed