Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

Quoting Ghislain Vaillant (2017-06-06 10:13:55)
> On Tue, 2017-06-06 at 00:14 -0400, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
>> I see now that python-networkx has some integration with those
>> visualization libraries [1], which is not what I expected to be the
>> case, though the page also says:
>>
>> ~~~
>> NetworkX provides basic functionality for visualizing graphs, but its
>> main goal is to enable graph analysis rather than perform graph
>> visualization. In the future, graph visualization functionality may
>> be removed from NetworkX or only available as an add-on package.
>> ~~~
>>
>> so I guess until that integration is removed, it makes sense to keep
>> it as Recommends. My main problem remains, however, and it is that
>> networkx brings in a graphics stack when you try to install pbhoney
>> on a headless machine, like cluster compute nodes.
>
> Given this is a Python package, we should not even have to argue about
> package relationships. Setuptools metadata provides install_requires
> and extras_require, the former mapping to Depends, the latter to
> Suggests. Period.
>
> Your typical Python project README would instruct users to install the
> Python package via `pip install`. If one runs `pip install networkx`,
> the graphics dependencies do not get pulled. That alone is enough to
> justify that these dependencies should not go to Recommends.
>
> FYI, I have a similar problem with sympy (#861741), which pulls an
> insane amount of packages via chained Recommends.

We should certainly continue to align package relations with Debian
Policy - and therefore by extension continue to argue about that as
necessary to evolve Debian Policy:

Upstream (or other) package relation hints can be a valuable _aid_ in
resolving Debian package relations, but only that: An aid!

Debian packaging follows Debian Policy - other hints do not.

 - Jonas