Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

على الإثنين  5 حزيران 2017 ‫08:43، كتب Ian Jackson:

> I think we should take a test case or two to the Technical Committee.
>
> Before doing that, it would be wise to try to find the answer to the
> key question which the TC will ask.  Suppose A recommends B.  In what
> way, or in what circumstances, will A fail due to lack of B ?
>
> In #849619 I don't see the answer to that question.

I see now that python-networkx has some integration with those
visualization libraries [1], which is not what I expected to be the
case, though the page also says:

~~~
NetworkX provides basic functionality for visualizing graphs, but its
main goal is to enable graph analysis rather than perform graph
visualization. In the future, graph visualization functionality may be
removed from NetworkX or only available as an add-on package.
~~~

so I guess until that integration is removed, it makes sense to keep it
as Recommends. My main problem remains, however, and it is that networkx
brings in a graphics stack when you try to install pbhoney on a headless
machine, like cluster compute nodes. See in an unstable chroot:

# apt-get install pbhoney
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
  blasr blt ca-certificates dbus file fontconfig fontconfig-config
fonts-liberation fonts-lyx
  gnome-icon-theme graphviz gtk-update-icon-cache hicolor-icon-theme
javascript-common
  krb5-locales libaec0 libann0 libatk1.0-0 libatk1.0-data
libavahi-client3 libavahi-common-data
  libavahi-common3 libblas-common libblas3 libblasr libbsd0 libcairo2
libcdt5 libcgraph6
  libcroco3 libcups2 libcurl3-gnutls libdatrie1 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1
libexpat1-dev libffi6
  libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgail-common libgail18 libgd3
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-common libgfortran3 libglade2-0 libglib2.0-0
libglib2.0-data libgnutls30
  libgraphite2-3 libgssapi-krb5-2 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin
libgtk2.0-common libgts-0.7-5
  libgts-bin libgvc6 libgvpr2 libharfbuzz0b libhdf5-100 libhdf5-cpp-100
libhogweed4 libhts1
  libice6 libicu57 libidn2-0 libjbig0 libjpeg62-turbo libjs-jquery
libjs-jquery-ui libk5crypto3
  libkeyutils1 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 liblapack3 liblcms2-2
libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common
  libltdl7 libmagic-mgc libmagic1 libnettle6 libnghttp2-14 libp11-kit0
libpango-1.0-0
  libpangocairo-1.0-0 libpangoft2-1.0-0 libpathplan4 libpbbam libpbdata
libpbihdf libpbseq
  libpixman-1-0 libpng16-16 libpsl5 libpython-dev libpython-stdlib
libpython2.7 libpython2.7-dev
  libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common
librtmp1 libsasl2-2
  libsasl2-modules libsasl2-modules-db libsm6 libssh2-1 libssl1.1 libsz2
libtasn1-6 libtcl8.6
  libthai-data libthai0 libtiff5 libtk8.6 libunistring0 libwebp6
libwebpdemux2 libwebpmux2
  libx11-6 libx11-data libxau6 libxaw7 libxcb-render0 libxcb-shm0
libxcb1 libxcomposite1
  libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxdmcp6 libxdot4 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxft2
libxi6 libxinerama1
  libxml2 libxmu6 libxpm4 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxss1 libxt6
libyaml-0-2 mime-support openssl
  pbdagcon pbhoney pbjelly publicsuffix python python-cairo
python-cycler python-dateutil
  python-decorator python-dev python-functools32 python-glade2
python-gobject-2 python-gtk2
  python-h5py python-imaging python-intervaltree python-intervaltree-bio
python-matplotlib
  python-matplotlib-data python-minimal python-networkx python-numpy
python-pbbanana
  python-pbsuite-utils python-pil python-pkg-resources python-pygraphviz
python-pyparsing
  python-pysam python-scipy python-six python-sortedcontainers
python-subprocess32 python-tk
  python-tz python-yaml python2.7 python2.7-dev python2.7-minimal
samtools sgml-base
  shared-mime-info tk8.6-blt2.5 ttf-bitstream-vera ucf x11-common
xdg-user-dirs xml-core
0 upgraded, 197 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 98.7 MB/120 MB of archives.
After this operation, 361 MB of additional disk space will be used.

and without recommends:

  blasr libaec0 libblas-common libblas3 libblasr libcurl3-gnutls
libexpat1 libffi6 libgfortran3
  libgnutls30 libgssapi-krb5-2 libhdf5-100 libhdf5-cpp-100 libhogweed4
libhts1 libidn2-0
  libk5crypto3 libkeyutils1 libkrb5-3 libkrb5support0 liblapack3
libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common
  libnettle6 libnghttp2-14 libp11-kit0 libpbbam libpbdata libpbihdf
libpbseq libpsl5
  libpython-stdlib libpython2.7-minimal libpython2.7-stdlib librtmp1
libsasl2-2
  libsasl2-modules-db libssh2-1 libssl1.1 libsz2 libtasn1-6
libunistring0 mime-support pbhoney
  pbjelly python python-decorator python-h5py python-intervaltree
python-intervaltree-bio
  python-minimal python-networkx python-numpy python-pbbanana
python-pbsuite-utils python-pysam
  python-six python-sortedcontainers python2.7 python2.7-minimal samtools
0 upgraded, 61 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 15.0 MB/23.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 86.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.

But with the latter, you won't get pbdagcon (Recommends of pbhoney) and
will end up using pbhoney's inferior fallback implementation.

regards
Afif

1.
https://networkx.github.io/documentation/networkx-1.10/reference/drawing.html