Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

On 06/01/2017 01:00 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

Anything on the top three priorities (critical, alert and emergency) is
supposed to be displayed immediately to all logged-in users (including
remote ones), no matter what.

Only LOG_EMERG does that, at least on my machine and I'm pretty sure that's the default rsyslog config. Unfortunately, a RAID member failure is only legitimately LOG_ALERT. Sort of a moot point though...

It would be great it we had an alert program to use instead of email
KDE displays high-priority system alerts as high priority notifications
by default (maybe some of it because of the default configuration of
rsyslog).

Running KDE here, so familiar with them. The first problem with those is they automatically vanish after a few seconds. They remain around, if you pull up the alert notifier, but that little (1) in the systray is easy to miss.

Second problem is that only works if you're logged in. Even on a typical desktop where the main user is the admin, it's not safe to assume a that user will always be logged in:

 * Turn on machine, go grab coffee or tea while it's booting. Disk
   failure occurs before you get back and log in.
 * Log out for the night, but leave it on for e.g. backups, file
   serving, or remote access
 * Log out so your kids can use the machine

Third problem, syslog imposes some pretty severe format restrictions on the message. An alert sent via email can have a lot more details & instructions than a syslog message.

Using a machine as a home media server (e.g., a NAS) is a reasonably common thing too—then it'll hardly ever have a local logged in user.

You can surely configure rsyslog to get that alert to you anyway. (Probably using ommail!). But that's no easier than configuring outgoing email.****