Re: Too many Recommends (in particular on mail-transport-agent)

On Thu, 01 Jun 2017, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On May 31, 2017 3:51:33 AM EDT, Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>
>  wrote:
> >Can't it report this via the system log? (syslog, systemd-journald)
>
> The kernel already does, but of course the system log has a lot of
> messages, every several seconds on some systems. And the systemd
> journal can be even worse, volume-wise.

The kernel log, syslog, and the journal... all of them have the idea of
message priorities.

Anything on the top three priorities (critical, alert and emergency) is
supposed to be displayed immediately to all logged-in users (including
remote ones), no matter what.

> It would be great it we had an alert program to use instead of email

KDE displays high-priority system alerts as high priority notifications
by default (maybe some of it because of the default configuration of
rsyslog).

rsyslog will forcefully write high-priority messages to all ttys, local
and remote, by default.

If your DE doesn't display system alerts by default, it is a fight you
might want to take... file bugs!

> discussed before... If we had one, it'd be relatively easy to have
> mdadm, smartmontools, etc. use it.

We have had this working for the better part of two decades, through
syslog.  We also have had an extremely good daemon to take care of it
for nearly half that time: rsyslog.  And rsyslog is configured to do the
right thing by default.

Since journald can plug to syslog just fine, and does so by default in
Debian, it also does the right thing by default at least in Debian.

What we *might* not do by default is to force all the DEs to display
these alerts out-of-the-box.  I haven't tested all main DEs for this, so
I wouldn't know.

> >> OTOH, seems weird for Dracut to recommend mdadm. Surely a system
> >> booting from RAID would already have it installed?
> >
> >dracut defaults to creating a general-purpose initramfs that is not
> >meant to hard-code anything and can be used to boot "most" hardware
>
> I'm not really familiar with Dracut, but I'll note that needing mdadm
> is almost always a property of the OS install being booted, not of the
> hardware it's running on. So not including mdadm doesn't make the
> particular install any less portable, though it does make the
> initramfs less general to booting arbitrary installs.

Correct.

The initramfs-tools does not depend or recommend mdadm.  However,
initramfs-tools is modular and its mdadm support is supplied by the
mdadm package.

Dracut isn't modular, and its mdadm support is built-in.  This is a key
difference.

One needs to actually read dracut's source code to know how it would
behave in all boundary conditions related to mdadm support, in which
case it might only suggest or not even mention mdadm.  It probably is
safe, but the point is that someone has to check it first.

--
  Henrique Holschuh