Re: salsa.debian.org (git.debian.org replacement) going into beta

On Fri, 2017-12-29 at 12:32 +0100, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On 2017-12-29 12:42, Paul Wise wrote:
> > This is just a symptom of a Debian design flaw that dates back to
> > before we started using VCSen for packaging. We include information in
> > the source package that can change independently of the source package
> > (such as Vcs-*, Homepage, debian/watch, Maintainer/Uploaders etc).
> > These should be stored externally to source packages and merged into
> > the Packages/Sources files by the archive software.
>
> You are right. It is just not easy to solve this, because this
> information must be available on Debian systems. So it would be
> something in parallel to downloaded Packages files, right? And
> who generates this file(?) based on which information?

dak already maintains Section and Priority information ("override
file") and uses that information in the Packages file instead of what a
package's control file says.  I would hope that a similar approach
could be used for all the other fields that we may want to change
without an upload.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be