Re: salsa.debian.org (git.debian.org replacement) going into beta

On 26/12/2017 15:05, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Mattia Rizzolo <mattia@debian.org> writes:
>> On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 02:45:38PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>>> The time before the last time I asked about tracker, the answer was
>>> that this was not yet possible due to old lintian doing automated
>>> rejects on ftpmaster.
>>
>> That's now fixed, and you can use $package@packages.debian.org in the
>> Maintainer field.
>
> So, one should use f.e.
>
> Maintainer: Debian Science Team <cminpack@packages.debian.org>
>
> to indicate it is a team maintained package? The field is not only used
> to give a contact address, but also to get an idea who is actually
> maintaining a package. For example, I feel much more attracted to fix a
> bug in a package that is maintained by a team where I am member of, and
> I would like to see this directly instead of needing to search whether
> it is among the 1000 Debian Science packages.

I agree with your reasoning. I just wanted to highlight that the situation
is in fact worse with the "Team foo <bar@packages.debian.org>" schema: Our
tools do not seem ready for that yet.

For example, have a look at the following packages:
- https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/siridb-server
- https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libcleri

The maintainer box is not even shown. I guess this might be a bug to file
against tracker.debian.org.

On DDPO, it is even more misleading:
- https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=libcleri%40packages.debian.org

People unfamiliar with our tools may believe SiriDB Maintainers are
maintaining one single package, while it is not.

Those two pitfalls were easy to spot, but I believe that there are others.

A team needs a single point of contact and foo@packages.debian.org doesn't
provide that. Or we need other means to identify teams (and using a regexp
on names attached to an email address is not a solution).

I am happy that listmasters clarified their position on this matter in the
meantime. But if we really want to reduce traffic on discussion mailing-lists,
I think that realistic proposals should build upon the notion of teams in
tracker.d.o or in gitlab (or both?). Both tools have a notion of a "team"
or a "group" and could provide an email alias for member subscribed or
member of those groups. I believe this would address the need of most teams,
to have a single point of contact. Such aliases would help us to avoid bug
notifications and alike on discussion MLs.

Best,

--
Mehdi