Re: Has Copyright summarizing outlived its usefulness?

Hi Ian,

As a preface to my comments: I am *only* complaining about collecting
copyright notices.  I agree that collecting together a comprehensive license
statement(s) is necessary.  The caveats of Russ Alberry [1] aside, these are
two distinct tasks in my eyes.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/12/msg00198.html

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:28:12 PM CST Ian Jackson wrote:

> And of course the per-contributor
> notices information is sometimes required,

I guess that you're referring to the kind of license grants that Russ
identified?  If that's in the license, then yes: we are bound by it.

However, that is NOT the case for a large number of licenses and is
specifically NOT the case for Boost -- which is what started my complaint.  In
these cases, I am still waiting for a cogent explanation of what purpose this
serves.  In my experience, it wastes my time and likely that of FTP Masters.

--

The frustration is compounded by the fact that overworked FTP-masters leave a
NEW upload pending for 4 weeks then reject it based on a new interpretation of

It's a shame the FTP masters are not participating in the discussion.
However, the consensus voiced in this thread (as was the case of the same in
2016) is that while license summarizing (which can include, if the license has
language such as Russ identified, also listing copyrights) is valuable,
nothing has been said in favour of copyright summarizing.

So I wonder what is the best way forward?  Should we amend the Policy Manual,
striking out "copyright information" from the requirement "Every package must
be accompanied by a verbatim copy of its copyright information and
distribution license in the file /usr/share/doc/package/copyright. "  ?

Thanks,
-Steve