Re: ISO download difficult

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 03:45:38PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > I think that's probably true, but it also has prerequisites that may not
> > be achievable.  In other words, it's more user-friendly except when it's
> > completely impossible (because the existing system doesn't boot, for
> > instance).  Other OS installers work fine in that situation if the
> > hardware is capable of booting from USB.  There's no need for us to be
> > worse.
>
> d-i would continue to work in that situation, as it would in the OS
> app situation. When downloading, you just click "I have no OS" instead
> of "I have Windows/etc". The app approach would still use d-i as
> normal, but the method to download, install, write the install medium
> etc would be automatic instead of manual.
>
> The app approach can also improve the situation where there is no OS
> installed by having a GUI for automatically checking there is space on
> the USB stick, downloading/verifying ISOs and making it easy to write
> to a chosen USB stick.
>
> For example of how much better the app approach could be for
> inexperienced users;

this is all nice and dandy, but we currently are not exactly overstaffed
in regards to d-i development. IOW: I don't see how this will happen
anytime soon & I doubt we would be ready for buster.

On the other hand, simply linking the non-free images more visible, we
could do now, for stretch and jessie even.

IOW: perfect once again is the enemy of good and better. Sad!

--
cheers,
	Holger