Re: ISO download difficult

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I'm certainly fine to put work into this for those who want to use it, but
> I never boot any existing OS before installing Debian, and I'm sure I'm
> not alone.  It's extremely useful to be able to install Debian on bare
> metal (or a newly-replaced factory hard drive) or on a system whose
> existing OS install is hopelessly broken.

I'd wager that the win32-loader style approach is vastly more
user-friendly for inexperienced users than existing workflows,
especially in the face of WiFi/Ethernet chips that require non-free
firmware loaded by the OS. Of course the OS-free manual download,
manually figure out which firmware is needed, manually write to media
and manually figure out how to boot d-i approach is going always to be
necessary for experts and certain situations.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise