Re: Debian Stretch new user report (vs Linux Mint)

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 06:49:05PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 11:41:34PM +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:
> > There are alternatives?
>
> always.
>

> --
> cheers,
> 	Holger

About alternatives, I found it difficult to buy a brand-new laptop with
802.11ac wifi chip which is available on the market.  All of them
requires firmware or even non-free Linux modules.  I asked MediaTeK
people with such issue when I had a job interview, and they replied that
they want to respect their shareholders. *sighs*

Everyone argues that firmware should be non-free and should be not
included in the ISO, but if the firmware is not able to sideload, it
means the firmware is not changable, and in most of the case we don't
have source code for it.  I believe it is the worse scenario than having
a non-free blob, which we can still have security updates.

My 2 cent is, we can distribute ISOs without non-free things, but we
need an add-on pack to put into the USB flash drive for non-free network
drivers, and we categorize the add-on not part of Debian.  We also have
to improve the website to point out, that "In most of the case non-free
drivers are required for your computer hardware to work", and point the
user to the add-on.

I hope my idea can balance our priorities of both the free software and
the users, and not give up one of them to achieve the other.

Yao Wei