Re: Auto-update for sid? Auto-backport?

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 05:53:40PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Yes; and semver.org is a formalized system for version numbering stuff.
> If upstream has committed to it (and does not make mistakes), then the c
> versions in the above example MUST (in the RFC definition of that word)
> only contain bugfixes, and no interface changes.

oh shiny! thanks for pointing out semver.org!

> In other words, this could be a good idea provided that it's not an
> automatic thing, and that the maintainer of the package manually jumps
> through a few (minor) hoops to make it happen.

oh wow! it never occurred to me to do this for *all* Debian packages
automatically. of course such a thing would need to be enabled by the
maintainers explicitly for each package.

and as others have said: the packaging part should be automated, not
the uploading part. (which means, there should be maintainer review
inbetween.)

--
cheers,
	Holger