Re: Auto-update for sid? Auto-backport?

Holger Levsen writes ("Re: Auto-update for sid? Auto-backport?"):
> and as others have said: the packaging part should be automated, not
> the uploading part. (which means, there should be maintainer review
> inbetween.)

I think part of this thread is exploring the circumstances where we
(well, in reality, the Debian maintainers responsible) might want to
have something not only automatically merge, but also automatically
upload the result to sid.

Currently our package signing approach makes that awkward, but I don't
think it's inherently wrong in all cases.  There are downsides, some
of which are explored in this thread.  But there are also upsides.

I think it would certainly be a minority of upstreams that we (Debian)
would want to trust so thoroughly.

Ian.