Re: Switching to sysvinit-core fails miserably in buster/sid

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 09:26:57AM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 at 09:29:18 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> > Hi, when trying to follow which patches are applied to sysvinit, the git link
> > given in the package page, https://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sysvinit.html is not
> > up to date: https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/collab-maint/sysvinit.git
> > Latest entry there is from February 2017. Where is the recent git repo?
>
> update-rc.d is now built from init-system-helpers, not sysvinit (because
> the same script is used for multiple init systems). This bug was found
> and fixed there, not in sysvinit.
>
> sysvinit itself had its most recent maintainer upload in 2015, so it isn't
> surprising if nothing has changed in git recently. Patches corresponding
> to each subsequent NMU should be available in the BTS.

Actually, it has seen a maintainer upload recently, but by mistake it had a
version number that looked like a NMU.  And that upload was committed to
git.

Indeed, sysvinit is somewhat undermaintained, but as a mature piece of
software it doesn't require much fixing.  For example: if you lxc-create -t
debian -- -r sid, the container created (as of yesterday) doesn't even boot
unless you switch to sysvinit ("Can't mount API filesystems.").

On the other hand, both of openrc's remaining uploaders are lazy bums and
some work is badly overdue...

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Laws we want back: Poland, Dz.U. 1921 nr.30 poz.177 (also Dz.U.
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ 1920 nr.11 poz.61): Art.2: An official, guilty of accepting a gift