Re: Unsustainable debian/rules as official build entry point?

On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:31:58 +0100, Wookey wrote:

> On 2017-10-18 12:08 +0000, Felipe Sateler wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 Oct 2017 11:36:41 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
>>
>> > And I've got to question whether we should keep supporting it or just
>> > declare dpkg-buildpackage to be that entry point.
>>
>> I think it makes sense to declare dpkg-buildpackage the official entry
>> point.
>
> I too am reasonably happy with this idea, for the reasons you and Felipe
> gave, however I can think of one potential issue.
>
>> Reasons against:
>
> I quite often use the debian/rules binary{-arch,-indep} interface when
> doing porting/bootstrapping work (i.e the package built but something
> goes wrong in the packaging process so I want to retry with a tweak or a
> bodge)
>
> In theory I should be able to do dpkg-buildpackage -nc --target=binary

Two things:

1. -nc is not necessary when passing --target.
2. You mentioned binary{-arch,-indep} earlier but here --target=binary.
   Perhaps that is the source of the discrepancy? Note that you can call
   any target, not just the official ones. (You may need to also pass
   --as-root too though).

> but in practice I find that this often doesn't work as intended and it
> tries to do the whole build again. I have not investigated exactly why
> this is, and I guess you'll want me to give you a concrete example next.

This sound a lot like a bug somewhere. So yeah, discussion in the
abstract is not going to do much because what you describe is not
supposed to happen. Clearly something is failing somewhere, but without
concrete examples I don't think there's anything actionable.

--
Saludos,
Felipe Sateler