Re: Unsustainable debian/rules as official build entry point?

On Wed, 2017-10-18 at 16:31 +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On 2017-10-18 12:08 +0000, Felipe Sateler wrote:

> I quite often use the debian/rules binary{-arch,-indep} interface when
> doing porting/bootstrapping work (i.e the package built but something
> goes wrong in the packaging process so I want to retry with a tweak or a
> bodge)
>
> In theory I should be able to do
> dpkg-buildpackage -nc --target=binary
>
> but in practice I find that this often doesn't work as intended and it
> tries to do the whole build again. I have not investigated exactly why
> this is, and I guess you'll want me to give you a concrete example next.

Couldn't agree more. Porting packages is mostly the task of my work on GNU/Hurd
and being able to issue debian/rules configure, build, binary, clean, etc is
extremely useful. Especially for source packages building a lot of binaries.

> Doing the whole build again is sometimes just slow (very slow!), but
> can also be a PITA when porting, and you really do just want to
> package up what you have.

See above. Also, when testing if a package can be built twice in a row (not
necessarily for Hurd) it is important. I've encountered several such packages in
the Debian repository (still there).