Re: thoughts about freeradius package (especially dhcp)

kjonca@poczta.onet.pl (Kamil Jońca) writes:

> Some time ago I migrated my home dhcp server from isc to freeradius.
> Almost everything worked like a charm.
> The only thing were problems with arp table [1].

> Then I ended with configuration:
> radius binary have set cap bits[2]
> radius is run from systemd as freerad user

Consider instead having systemd set the capabilties in the unit file using
AmbientCapabilities.  It ends up being roughly equivalent for the service,
but it means that processes that run the binary outside of the context of
systemd won't get the capabilities, which slightly decreases the chances
of some local privilege escalation attacks.

> (it is important that "User=freerad" should be in unit file, not only
> radius config)
> the only thing is '/var/run/freeradius/' directory creation.

> Is it bad idea to make freeradius run as freerad user with capabilities
> enabled?

I think this sort of change is an excellent idea, and would love to see
more of this type of hardening in Debian as default behavior.