Re: Whether remotely running software is considered "software" for Debian.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Dr. Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 12:31:15PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
>> I think the sanity check that fails today is a) free implementations of
>> the RAR algorithm exist so this is unnecessary
>
> I'm not familiar with the details, but I know some rar files cannot be
> extracted with unrar-free.  So I'm pretty sure unrar-nonfree contains things
> that are not free and are required for some features.

You might not be aware that there exists free code to convert newer
RAR archives to a directory tree. That code is within the upstream
software known as "The Unarchiver". The command-line version of this
is known as "unar" and is packaged in Debian main. AFAIK there is no
free tool to produce RARv3 archives from a directory tree though.

https://theunarchiver.com/command-line
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=unar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR_(file_format)

--