Re: OpenSSL disables TLS 1.0 and 1.1

On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 08:35:52PM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 05:22:51PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > I wonder if there is a middle way that ensures that all new stuff does
> > go TLS1.2 (or later, whenever), but does allow older stuff still to
> > work. Which isnt the case if they are just disabled.
>
> I could change the default settings to set the minimum supported
> version as TLS 1.2. That is, act like
> SSL_CTX_set_min_proto_version() was called with TLS1_2_VERSION.
> That would allow applications to override this this by calling
> SSL_CTX_set_min_proto_version(). But then those are new
> functions in 1.1.0 and they probably aren't supported by many
> applications.
>
> An other alternative is to use the deprecated SSL_CTX_set_options
> options (SSL_OP_NO_TLSv1 | SSL_OP_NO_TLSv1_1) by default, but then
> there is probably no software that has support for clearing those
> with SSL_CTX_clear_options()

Would it instead be possible to create an item in the openssl.conf file
to disable TLS1.2 by default? That way, users can re-enable TLS1.{0,1}
in cases where that's required, and you can drop TLS1.0 and 1.1 (and
possibly 1.2 even, if 1.3 has enough traction) in bullseye.

Thanks,

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab