Re: bind9 shipping outdated root hint file (etc.)

On Tue, Aug 08, 2017 at 04:47:27PM -0400, Chris Lamb wrote:
> It was just mentioned "en passant" in a conversation at DebConf that
> bind9 is shipping a root hint file from 2003.

The version of db.root in stretch is from Feb 17, 2016.  I suspect that the
comment originates from the fact that I've never done any backports to
stable releases, nor do I particularly want to do so.  Others have been
doing that.

> I had a quick glance at the bug list and saw it was a little larger
> than I would have liked for what is clearly a critical piece and
> infrastructure. :)
>
> Lamont, can you comment? Anyone interested in helping out here…?

There are a couple of people who are working with me on it, as per the
control file in the package.  Many of the bugs are more minor, or asking
for upstream development, or asking when some feature will be backported
to a stable release.  I tend to not close those bugs out of hand, so the
bug list is both accurate and overstating.

lamont