Re: sse{2,3,4.2}, altivec, neon, ...

On 08/05/2017 07:53 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
> Thus, here's a proposed solution: in unstable, there's now a bunch of
> packages that do such checking in preinst, and thus refuse (overridably) to
> even install such software.
>
> Currently this includes:
> * sse2: i386 (inc. hurd-i386, kfreebsd-i386)
> * sse3: i386, amd64, x32 (〃, kfreebsd-amd64)
> * sse4.2: i386, amd64, x32 (〃)
> * neon: armhf
> * altivec: powerpc
> (amd64 always has sse2, arm64 neon, ppc64el altivec)
> Package names are $(ISA)-support, thus sse2-support if you need SSE2.
>
> To use: make your package:
> Depends: sse2-support [any-i386]
>
> Lemme know if anything is amiss; in particular, adding a new extension is a
> two-line change.

I suppose it wouldn't be possible to add autodetection to debhelper or
at least lintian based on instructions present in the binary? For the
latter I'd imagine something with a low certainty suggesting that you
depend on a certain meta package. (To catch the cases where there's
actually autodetection at runtime.)

Kind regards
Philipp Kern