Re: Debian built from non-Debian sources

Quoting Steve McIntyre (2017-07-16 22:14:29)
> Jonas wrote:
> >Quoting Andrey Rahmatullin (2017-07-16 19:28:06)
> >> Do we?  The Debian Policy covers only debs.
> >> Also, dak isn't in the archive either.
> >
> >I thought Policy covered what we distribute - which excludes dak but
> >includes libisofs code embedded in installer images.
>
> Can you identify any code at all from libisofs which is embedded in
> the images? I'm honestly not aware of any.

I believe the embedded MBR is part of the libisofs project.

> I've been using upstream versions of xorriso on-and-off over the last
> few years, accepting assistance from the (very helpful!) upstream
> author Thomas Schmitt when trying to debug thorny issues like hybrid
> BIOS/UEFI booting.
>
> The exact behaviour that we've worked out in some cases has needed
> upstream tweaks, and we've needed those tweaks from time to time in
> what we've released.

No doubt the particular version of libisofs was used for good reasons.

My concern is the ability to replicate and derive the least possible
from Debian resources like the install images.

Concretely The Debian derivative PureOS is having trouble booting their
homemade live image on some hardware, but boots fine on both Debian
netinst image and Debian live image.  Looking at the properly working
images I noticed that the live image for stable was produced using
newer-than-stable libisofs, and that the stable netinst image was
produced using a never-in-Debian release of libisofs.

A related issue is bug#807168.

> >Do we have any Policy on installer images?  If e.g. our netinst or
> >live images contain non-DFSG-but-free-to-distribute code would that
> >be only a wishlist bug, not a Policy violation?
>
> That would be a serious bug IMHO - please raise any as you find them.

Thanks for clarifying the severity of such theoretic bug specifically.

It was just an example, however, and my real question was generally what
governs code we distribute outside packages - i.e. our install images,
if Debian Policy covers only packages.

 - Jonas