Re: "Ask HN: What do you want to see in Ubuntu 17.10?"

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 01:25:33AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-06-08 at 19:52 +0100, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> > I would certainly reiterate this:
> > https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14003253
> >
> > Some versions of Ubuntu (at least trusty, xenial) have the added
> > "feature" to keep older kernel versions when installing new ones.  It
> > kind of makes sense to keep at least the previous one (in case of a
> > regression), but keeping every new patch-version is too much.
> >
> > Debian doesn't do this (except when the ABI version or upstream version
> > is new, I think).
>
> I believe Debian has the same APT hook as Ubuntu now, but different
> results due to not bumping ABI so often.

Yeah, it feels like Ubuntu kernels bump with every upload...

> > apt-get autoremove is supposed to remove the unneeded ones, but
> > apparently does not.  (And users can't be expected to remember this
> > either).
> [...]
>
> Why doesn't it?  We used to have the problem that many things
> recommended linux-image which was provided by all linux-image-*
> packages; so all of them would be considered non-removable.  But that
> hasn't been the case since jessie.  Does Ubuntu still have this
> problem?

There was a problem because all provided zfs-modules or something,
we believe this has been fixed with changes to apt's autoremoval
code "protect only the latest same-source providers from autoremove"
in 1.3~pre1 (which I merged into Ubuntu xenial's 1.2 some time ago).

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |