Re: Packaging of libraries with unstable ABI (D, Rust, Go, ...)

Hello Matthias,

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 04:37:58PM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Looking at what other languages with the same problem have done, there
> are basically two ways to deal with the issue:
>
>  1) Rebuild every reverse-dependency of the languages' compiler every
> time the compiler is updated. This is done by Haskell and OCaml and
> resulted in permanent transition trackers for the libraries.
>
>  2) Ship source code instead of libraries in packages, and compile it
> directly into the target binaries. That way, the maintenance overhead
> of the languages' packages is greatly reduced, but code is statically
> linked (boo!) and a lot of code needs to be rebuilt for every
> dependency (meaning more work for the autobuilders). This is done by
> Go, and apparently also the plan to do for Rust.

Note that Haskell is statically linked, too.  We rebuild every
reverse-dependency of every library that changes, not just the compiler.

Are you saying that with D, it's only changes to the compiler that are
problematic?

--
Sean Whitton