Re: When do we update the homepage to a modern design? (was Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth)

On 2017-05-15 13:42 +0200, Hans wrote:

> Maybe other things, that people do not know yet, which show the power of
> debian, should be mentioned (I think of biggest community, best documentation,

'Best documentation' is a strong claim that I don't think many would agree with :-)

Debian is many good things, but 'well documented', especially for
newcomers, is not one of them. Several other distros demonstrably do a
better job on this (Arch, Ubuntu spring to mind).

I will refrain from making further comments on the website except that
I like Debian's style much more than the lxde 'vertical sliding pane
minimal-info' thing that is quite popular these days. But then I am
old, favour substance over style, and don't use a tiny phone screen to
read the net. The more I see of the modern web, the more I become
convinced of the long-term advantages of 30K of HTML over 1MB of
javascript to convey essentially the same info.

I will observe that the debian wiki is a lot more up-to-date than the
website because it is much easier to update (much as I admire wml as
a tool/language).

Wookey
http://wookware.org/