Re: Moving away from (unsupportable) FusionForge on Alioth?

On Mon, 15 May 2017, Alexander Wirt wrote:

Hi,

> > I am worried about the status of FusionForge (and thus the development workflow
> > around Alioth) for Debian.
> >
> > Recently I had a discussion on #alioth @OFTC asking for the possibility or
> > plan of upgrading alioth.debian.org from Wheezy to newer Jessie or Stretch. We
> > know Wheezy *is* EOL now with extended LTS support till 2018/05. One of the
> > admins ("formorer") said things won't change till Wheezy LTS EOL since
> > upgrading will surely break fusionforge and **no one** can fix fusionforge
> > after that. The last person who touched FusionForge is Roland Mas (in CC
> > list). In my understanding that means fusionforge is already in an
> > unmaintained state even for now.
> >
> > Wheezy LTS EOL will arrive within one year. After that the unavailability of
> > Alioth will surely break everything around Alioth: the Alioth account system,
> > Git/SVN/CVS repository and web interfaces, alioth maillist and so on. Debian's
> > development workflow will just break down. And I believe people will not accept
> > a platform with security holes as one of Debian's basic infrastructures.
> >
> > As a result, I'm writing to suggest we find an answer to such a problem soon.
> > Migration to Jessie or Stretch with new FusionForge version might be possible.
> > Or we should just drop outdated FusionForge and move to some modern platforms
> > like GitLab (with an alternated workflow possibly).
> >
> > There are much room for discussion but we should start evaluation without
> > delay, since migration would take much time and the time left is pretty
> > limited.
> Here are my two cents and current plans:
>
> I don't think alioth as it is has a future. It is too overloaded, a bad
> software base and not well maintained (I am sorry for that).
>
> I think that we should move the relevant services into new hosts/services. In
> the first step that would be:
>
> Must have:
>
> - Account management - I am thinking about using freeipa for that
> - Git Hosting - we want to give pagure [1] a try, which uses gitolite, which is a
>   nice git solution. Regarding Hooks, no, we don't want anyone to use
>   arbitrary hooks. This is just opening a (security) can of worms. But we
>   want to provide hooks as a service. Pagure also has issue tracking.
Just a heads up, public announcement will follow as soon as I have all
details. We plan a alioth sprint from 18th to 20th august, probably in
Hamburg, Germany. If you want to take part, please reserve the date. Yes I
know it is near to debconf, but otherwise it will happen a lot later and we
don't have that much time left (mostly my fault, but time isn't endless).

I started a wiki page for the sprint [1]. You can add yourself if you are
interested. If you are interested in sponsoring the sprint please get in
touch with me.

Thanks for your attention
Alex

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/Alioth