Re: policy for shipping sysctl.d snippets in packages?

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 08:05:10AM -0400, Tom H wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:10 AM, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> >
> > All of this is caused by Red Hat having no support for upgrades:
> >
> > https://access.redhat.com/solutions/21964
> >
> > # Red Hat does not support in-place upgrades between major versions 4, 5 and
> > # 6 of Red Hat Enterprise Linux. (A major version is denoted by a whole
> > # number version change. For example, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 and Red
> > # Hat Enterprise Linux 6 are both major versions of Red Hat Enterprise
> > # Linux).
> > #
> > # In-place upgrades across major releases do not preserve all system
> > # settings, services or custom configurations. Consequently, Red Hat
> > # strongly recommends fresh installations when upgrading from one major
> > # version to another.
> >
> > # Red Hat currently supports only upgrades from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
> > # to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 for specific/targeted use cases only.
> >
> > On the other hand, being able to effortlessly dist-upgrade is one of biggest
> > reasons many of us have chosen Debian.
>
> The reason that you can't dist-upgrade RHEL is that there's too large
> a gap between releases.

No, that's not true. RedHat has never supported upgrades like that, even
before they switched to their "Enterprise Linux" stuff and took years
between releases.

--
< ron> I mean, the main *practical* problem with C++, is there's like a dozen
       people in the world who think they really understand all of its rules,