Re: policy for shipping sysctl.d snippets in packages?

On Apr 23, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> The "packages drop files in /usr/*, sysadmins override in /etc" way of
> doing things is prevalent in the RPM world; in Debian, however, we
> traditionally have packages drop files in /etc, and let the maintainer
While this scheme was probably instigated by limitations in RPM, at this
point we have had multiple packages (kmod, systemd, udev for a start)
using it for years.

Moving the sysctl.d default settings to /etc would be:
- a waste of developers time
- a gratuitous incompatibility with other distributions
- inconsistent with the documentation both inside and outside Debian
- inconsistent with other configuration files implementing this scheme

> There are things to be said to have the whole default configuration live
> in /etc; IMO, it makes it easier for a system administrator to figure
> out what the current configuration is, rather than having to mentally
> merge configuration files from several locations. Additionally, when a
There are also good arguments for having the whole default configuration
live in /usr and only local changes in /etc: e.g. this allows supporting
systems with an empty /etc, which greatly reduces the administrative
time needed to manage a large number of servers/containers.

> configuration file that had been edited by a user is now also edited by
> the package maintainer, on Debian the system will ask how to handle it,
> rather than changing the defaults and not telling people (which can
> break in some circumstances).
In my experience as the maintainer of the packages which introduced this
scheme this has not been a noticeable problem.

--
ciao,
Marco